Licensing information

< Back to General Discussion  Start a New Topic

chris scott
This user joined in Oct 2008 and has made 319 posts.
Posted on 20 December 2012 at 15:24
Hi all,

Please see update below from Mike McClure, Outdoor Recreation Officer at Sport NI


Please see the letter (available to download via red link at bottom of this email) from Gavin Howat in the Health and Safety Executive.

At the Adventure Sports Conference the week before last, Anne Salisbury who is a senior inspector within the Adventure Activity Licensing Service (AALS) gave a presentation on the role (and importance) of technical advisors. She had mentioned in the discussions after the presentation that providers who bring young people over to England, Scotland or Wales require a license if they are undertaking licensable activities and there is any form of payment for this.

I wanted to get clarity on this – as the understanding that most of us had worked under was that we were governed by our own regulations (which of course have not been implemented) when bringing groups from NI to GB for activities. THIS IS CATEGORICALLY NOT THE CASE, IF YOU ARE TAKING A GROUP TO GB TO DO ANY FORM OF LICENSABLE ACTIVITY, THEN CURRENTLY YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A LICENSE.

It is crucially important that you are aware of this, as to operate in GB without one is a criminal offence.

I am meeting with DCAL early in the new year to look into options for how this could be dealt with in the longer term and Marcus Baillie from AALS has provided some good pragmatic suggestions including having Adventuremark recognised by HSE as equivalent to holding a license.

However, if you are planning to run any trips to GB in the near future, then I would suggest that either you hold off until we get clarity from DCAL / HSE on a solution to this – or of course just apply to be licensed by AALS – which you can do online.

Please don’t hesitate to come back to me if you require any further information

Best wishes

Mike McClure | Outdoor Recreation Officer |Sport Northern Ireland
c/o Tollymore National Outdoor Centre, Hilltown Road, Bryansford, BT330PZ
t: 02890 383855 | m: 07976 468914
e: mikemcclure@sportni.net | w: www.sportni.net
PDF Document
63.0 KB

This topic has been viewed 543 times and has had 0 replies:

Post a Reply